Black Friday. A mess in person, but thanks to the explosion of e-commerce, you can hunker down at home while avoiding the crush of humanity at all the brick & mortar stores. Cyber Monday? Still also worth paying attention to, but many brands and retailers have outstanding discounts being offered online today. There’s been even more Black Friday “creep” this year, with some of these deals launching pre-Thanksgiving, but today is still the day when most seem to make their push. Here’s some of the best style-centric deals for men running today. Picks are scattered about when something was too good not to specifically mention.
- Nordstrom Wool Blend Topcoat – $132.74 ($295)
- Michael Kors Wool Blend Double Breasted Peacoat – $74.92 ($295)
- Nordstrom Houndstooth Cashmere Scarf – $49.42 ($99.50)
- Skagen Brushed Dial Leather Strap Watch – $56.23 ($125)
- Nordstrom Straight Leg Corduroy Pants $34.91($69.50)
- Topman Charcoal Wool Blend Trench Coat – $100 ($200)
- John W. Nordstrom Regular Fit Cotton Sport Coat – $97.42 ($198)
- Nordstrom Perforated Leather Gloves – $29.62 ($49.50)
- Cole Haan Cambridge Single Monk in Java Grain Leather – $112.42 ($258)
Yep, Nordstrom is doing Black Friday again. That wasn’t always the case. And this year they seem to be swinging for the fences. For the last few years they’ve just injected what’s in their sale section with a good chunk of new stuff for these big shopping days. But this year, they seem to have upped the price reductions on much of their sale inventory (for example, that Wool Blend Topcoat was $170 a day or two ago, and many other items have been reduced further in the last 24 hrs). Over 6000 items are in there as of now, and yes, we combed through all the items to dig up those picks above. As always, everything ships and returns free.
- Navy Tweed Elbow Patch Sportcoat – $91.20
- Thompson Fit Voyager Suit Jacket & Slim or Regular Pant –
- Thompson Fit Worsted Suit Jacket & Slim or Regular Pant –
- Thompson Sportcoat in Glen Plaid – $91.20
Pretty much the same deal that they launched on Monday. Use that extra 20% off $100+ code MYGIFT for some serious savings on suits and blazers. Been a very long time since Thompsons dipped under $200. They’re also running a limited 60% off “holiday ready” styles, but selection there is just so so. Remember, if you don’t happen to trip that $100 threshold, the code SHIPGIFTS gets you free shipping, no min. More Picks can be found here. UPDATE: Looks like they’re now excluding suiting from the 20% off $100+ code MYGIFT… which is a change from Monday when they were up for the code. $218 for a Thompson still isn’t a bad deal at all though. Thanks to Aaron G. on Facebook for the heads up.
J. Crew: 40% off sale items & 30% off select full price w/ HOLIDAY
- Ludlow Blazer in Italian Garment Dyed Cotton – $113.99 ($228)
- SLIM Softspun V-Neck Sweater – $41.70 ($89.50)
- Fairbault Made in the USA Wool Blanket – $139.20 ($242)
- Dock Peacoat w/ Thinsulate – $160.80 ($298)
- Legacy Blazer in Ludlow or Crosby Fit – $271.60 ($388)
- Shawl Collar Blazer in Blue or “Forrest” Velvet – $229.60 ($328)
Almost the same deal as what they launched on Tuesday, but they’ve since bumped up the offer on sale items to an extra 40% off, and thus, that’s why the majority of picks above are from the sale section. More non-sale item picks can be found here. UPDATE: They’ve also bumped up their offer to 40% off on a select batch of non-sale items. Lots of sweaters in that group. Thanks to Jeff M. for the tip!
- Extra Fine Merino V-Neck, Crew Neck , or Turtleneck – $29.90 ($39.90)
- “Chesterfield” Wool/Cashmere Topcoat – $114.90 ($149.90)
- Cashmere V-Neck – $69.90 ($99.90)
LOTS on sale, and the extra $15 off $100 (an unusually low threshold for UNIQLO, who usually keeps it closer to $130 – $150 most of the time), plus the free shipping no minimum helps. Especially if you’re just in need of a new sweater, and that’s it. Further details on their Chesterfield topcoat can be found in the annual best outerwear round up.
- Merona Cable Turtleneck – $20.99 ($34.99)
- Target Merona Wool Blend Plaid Bomber ‘ $41.99 ($69)
- Merona Wool Blend Peacoat – $47.99 ($79.99)
Target launched their free shipping no min. promotion a few weeks back in order to compete and compete hard during the holiday season. Foot traffic in any given Target on Black Friday has to resemble something of a stampede. So, if you can find it online, that means you can steer clear from the in-store experience and not pay extra for shipping. That cable turtleneck is a budget alternative to Bond’s in Spectre, while the Wool Blend Plaid Bomber is surprisingly nice for those who want a wool, shorter jacket for the colder months.
- Wool Blend Textured Rugby Crew Sweater – $23.97 ($59.95)
- Dark Wash Jeans in Slim – $29.97 ($69.95) or Straight Fit – $29.97 ($59.95)
- 1969 Black Fill Cords in Straight Fit – $29.97 ($59.95)
- Wool Blend Mac Coat – $74.00 ($148)
The Gap is another one of those places that must be nothing short of a madhouse on Black Friday. I don’t know how retail employees do it. But their online deal is pretty darn good, while the free shipping at $50 (pre-code) is one of the best in the business. Time to grab a favorite or two that’s usually excluded from their deals (i.e. jeans).
For those who worship at the alter of the Brooks Brothers non iron dress shirt… now’s not a bad time to stock up. Fifty bucks a pop, as long as you buy four, is a pretty solid deal. Meanwhile, their sweaters are 30% off as well.
- Waxed Twill Davis Brief – $179 FINAL ($398)
- Tech Oxford Wing Duffel – $192 FINAL ($548)
- Mason Leather Credit Card Holder – $20 FINAL ($58)
- Dipped Coal Bag – $69 FINAL ($198)
A surprisingly good selection. Not great, not amazing, but decent. You’ll almost certainly have to hand over an email and zip code to get access to the sale, but that’s standard for Jack Spade’s “Surplus” sales. That Tech Oxford duffel is especially tempting. Almost 2600 cubic inches means its workable for a short trip. Not too tiny. Lots of final sale items here.
- Adventurer in Eggshell White or Black – $276.50 ($535)
- Mako USA – $191.25 w/ BFMAKOUSA ($225)
- Bambino Original or Vintage or Version III – $130 ($260)
- Polaris GMT & Power Reserve – $287.50 ($575)
Been a long time since Orient ran a 50% off sale. Only exclusion is the new Mako USAs, but at least you can take 15% off those with the code BFMAKOUSA. Both codes run through Monday. Full review of the Adventurer can be found here, with the Mako USA here. And get a load of their new Polaris GMT.
Can’t imagine getting a pair of Allen Edmonds for any less (pre-worn eBay finds excluded of course.) Remember, these are 2nds quality. So they might show up with a scratch or a blemish. More info on how the Shoebank works can be found over here. Big thanks to Kevin F. for the style tip, who caught wind of this sale on Reddit. Remember, models and leather shade selection varies widely by size/width.
Lands’ End: 50% off Outerwear / 40% off Everything else w/ BLACK & 2727
- Tailored Fit Wool Peak Lapel Topcoat – $124.50 ($249)
- Tailored Fit Wool Flannel Trousers – $47.99 ($99)
- Tailored Fit Twill Corduroy Sportcoat – $95.99 ($189.99)
- Quilted Barge Blazer ‘ $104.50 ($209)
- Tailored Fit Moon Mills Topcoat – $199.50 ($399)
The Lands’ End resurrection to relevance has been measured. The imagery is better, the new stuff is more attractive, but they haven’t set the world on fire either. And maybe that’s on purpose. Maybe they’re out to execute hard to screw up classics at a reasonable price?
- Allen Edmonds Strands – $269.50 ($385)
- Allen Edmonds Mora 2.0 Monks in Suede or Calfskin – $269.50 ($385)
- Ernest Alexander Watson Brief – $258.50 ($355)
Thresholds are pretty steep, but at post time, the code seems to be working on 3rd party stuff. If you’re gonna pick up a pair of AEs, strongly consider adding something small to your cart to hit that $400 threshold, and thus bumping up your savings. Code is also good for 30% off sale items and 40% off clearance.
And the already dirt cheap gets even cheaper. Code 3231 knocks 20% off… but you have to get to sixty bucks for it to apply. And sometimes at H&M, that’s not real easy to do.
Good gravy. Still triple digits with the discount. Still a major splurge for many of us, but the fabrics are great, the collars are terrific, and that slightly lowered, 2nd button placement is legendary. But a hundred bucks for a shirt is just not going to be possible for many.
Usually coveted by the fairer sex, Coach makes some pretty slick stuff for us fellas as well. Nice to see that while it’s a tiered sale, the opening tier is… zero. Or, technically $0.01. 20% off up to $250, and things go from there.
- First Avenue Boots in Brown Grain – $375 ($425)
- First Avenue Boots in Smooth Calf – $375 ($425)
- Freiburg Boots – $199 ($295)
- Harris Tweed + Leather, or Wool + Leather Gloves – $56.25 ($75)
They’re offering a few special designs, just for this sale (the versatile “Freiberg” is at the top of that list), as well as offering fifty bucks off select shoes like the new First Avenue boots. Not a huge sale, but it’s something. Seems like they’re featuring much more of their giftables (like those gloves) than their shoes.
Unless there’s something spendy that you’ve had your eye on, you might want to hold your fire. Bonobos usually has a better deal on Cyber Monday (think: no thresholds to hit), so might wanna hang on for that to launch. That is, unless there’s something in the sale section that might evaporate in your size between now and then.
- Quilted Jacket – $117.60 ($168)
- Chunky Cable Knit Scarf – $40.60 ($58)
- Moleskin Blazer – $208.60 ($298)
As steep of a discount that Boden will do. Drops their excellent quilted jacket (recently featured in the best outerwear round up) down to a much more palatable $117.60. Meanwhile, that chunky cable scarf is 80% lambswool. Free shipping and free returns helps too, but you have to get over $49 post code application. At least shipping is just five bucks on the scarf.
- Orient Explorer – $339.34 ($715)
- Timex Originals T2P219AB – $34.55 ($65)
- Clarks Bushacre 2 Desert Boots – $55ish
- Dockers Alpha Khaki – $34.99 ($68)
Holy haystack. It’s pretty much the world’s largest “select items” sale. Amazon doesn’t suffer from a lot. But it does suffer, sometimes, from overwhelming selection. If they promote a “hey look over here at this pile of stuff we’ve marked down by 30%!” it’s really hard to start picking through, without glazing over after 5 minutes. That said, $340, while no small chunk of change, is an excellent price for Orient’s extremely wearable Orient Explorer Dual Time/Power Reserve Automatic. Full review here.
Can’t use it on sale items, and it’s all in splurge territory, but the American Designer Billy Reid really does turn out some high quality, heritage level stuff. The 25% off drops their famous Bond Peacoat to $521.25 from $695.
- Ty Chelsea Boot –
- Buffalo Plaid Shawl Collar Merino Blend Sweater –
- Extra Fine Merino Wool Sweater – $34.75 ($69.50)
- Traveler Denim in Rinse –
Those chelsea boots might be the best steal-shoe of the year. Meanwhile, there’s more than a couple tempting new arrivals, including that Buffalo Plaid Shawl Collar sweater in an 80% merino blend. UPDATE: Good Grief Banana Republic. It’s Black Friday, and your promotion is littered with the usual exclusions? BR Picks are out, and the traveler denim as well as those chelsea boots are currently a “BR Pick.” Meanwhile, despite the site saying, clearly, that sweaters are 50% off… the Shawl Collar Sweater in Buffalo plaid… only gets 40%? The Hell? Lovely work.
- Quilted Jacket – $126 ($180)
- Leather Gloves – $62.50 ($89.50)
- Moleskin Topcoat – $241.50 ($345)
- Wool & Leather Gloves – $68.50 ($98.50)
Like Zara, only leans more timeless and less trendy (but… still trendy). And the quality of the goods is noticeably better through Massimo Dutti. Everything should ship and return for free too.
Good for the designer fiends who don’t mind hunting and pecking through the ridiculous amount of inventory that Yoox carries. And sizes are usually scattered, real scattered, no matter what you’re looking for.
- Grenafaux in Navy ‘ $19
- Grenafaux in Black ‘ $19
- Solid Pocket Square w/ Color (your pick) Contrast Border – $10
Not a bad deal being that most guys shop for one or two ties at a time. Get a tie, get a pocket square, and your order ships for free. Ties above are from the recent $1500 wardrobe experiment.
- Texture Cotton Shawl Collar – $44 ($88) (in select stores only)
- Color Block Shawl Collar – $49 ($98)
- Merino Wool V-Neck Sweater – $34.95 ($69.50)
Do you think any of Steph Curry’s opponents have ever tried to use EXPRESS’s delightfully cheesy, Glamour-Shot style ad campaign as trash talk against him on the court? And if they do, do you think he sends them a care package of V-Neck Sweaters and 1MX shirts as an apology after he breaks their ankles and crushes their hearts with a dagger three? Does anyone really know what time it is?
- Stafford Logan Wingtips – $39.99 ($90)
- Stafford Merino Wool Sportcoat – $69.99 ($200)
- Stafford Wool Blend Topcoat – $89.99 ($275)
- Stafford Camel Hair Sportcoat – $79.99 ($225)
Right. That’s pretty general. But, if you start poking around, you’ll see that more than a few of their better quality/more stylish items have bottomed out in price. Those Logan wingtips for just under $40 is pretty outstanding. Full review here. More info on the Merino Wool Blazer in the best sportcoats of the fall round up, and more info on the topcoat in the best outerwear post. Ignore the “retail” prices that JCP claims. To get a ballpark idea of what items usually run, take 50% off. From there you can usually apply a code of some sort, so most of these items are at, or even much better, than where they usually are priced at. UPDATE: JC Penney ended these prices (for the most part) around mid-day on Friday. They’re now running the code GIVING which is a tiered deal. All depends on how much you spend.
Kinda stinks that you have to buy two pairs of shoes, but you could go with something more expensive, then tack on a cheaper pair of sneakers just to get the savings. Not a bad price for that duo, being that the Mercs run $140 on their own. So, if you need a pair of sleek dress shoes, getting the versatile, suede bluchers are basically just another twenty bucks.
- Field Notes Wallet – $81 ($108)
- Architect’s Wallet – $66.00 ($88)
- Button-Stud Sport ‘ $73.50 ($98)
- Button-Stud Apple Watch Band – $70.50 ($94)
Good on everything but the Button-Stud Premiums. (Which, y’know… totally understandable. The numbers get a lot tighter when Rolex + Omega are involved) Code runs through Cyber Monday, and as always, hat tip to the FFF guys for the creativity when it comes to the code.
That breaks down to 30% off all their nylon straps, 20% off their leather collection, and 10% off their American Made leather collection.
Those are some rough thresholds. East Dane is Amazon’s higher end men’s shop. Shipping & returns are free, and if you’ve got Prime, you’ll get East Dane orders in two days like normal Amazon Prime purchases.
Pretty sure this is as low as the excellent Armogan Spirit of St. Louis Chronos have gone for. Retro yet still timeless looks, razor sharp hands, and a slim watch face while still clocking in at 44mm. Meanwhile, in the shameless self promotion category, there’s a “Dappered” shop for you to peruse if you’d like. When the good folks at Huckberry asked us to do the oh-so-difficult job of “curating” (read: focused window shopping) a holiday gift shop with you guys in mind… it wasn’t tough to say yes. Many thanks to the guys at Huckberry for the opportunity.
Expect updates throughout the day. Got a tip on an especially good Black Friday deal? Send those in to email@example.com.