Johnston & Murphy Waverly Wingtip Oxford – $164.95
Click here for the previous candidate, the Cole Haan Air Garrett
Sleek looking in silhouette and not too clunky in the toe. That’s all it takes to qualify for this ongoing search for the perfect modern wingtip. Since affordability is a focus here, price has to be taken into consideration as well.
For well over $150, a shoe better be almost perfect. And the J&M Murphy comes up short. Literally in the toe, while being a little long on the price tag. Here’s the breakdown after an in-person fitting:
- Closed lacing
- Solid feeling construction. Not too weighty, but solid.
- Easy to find at multiple retailers (Nordstrom, Dillard’s, Zappos)
- Leather sole
- Toebox can accommodate wider feet
- Goodyear welt construction
- That 3/4 shot is not a true representation of the toe. See right instead ->
- Toe is a more rounded Allen Edmonds style. Needs a little more length in the toe for the slightly elongated look of an A. Testoni.
- Downright expensive at $165. Ouch.
Damn. Seeing it online and in person is just flat out a different story. When you try the shoes on, stand up, and look down at your feet from above… they’re just about half an inch too short in the toe to be truly considered modern. They’re ALMOST there. But not quite. A smart play for a more conservative environment, but if not? Save yourself $30 and get the Cole Haan Garretts.
Got a comment or want to share your experience with Johnston & Murphy? Leave it below.
Here’s the slightly more modern looking Cole Haan Garrett. Available for $135…