Top 10 Common Fashion Mistakes from Askmen.com
Askmen.com has put together a list of what they believe to be the 10 most common fashion mistakes made by men. They missed a couple big ones, and we’ll get to those after their list. But for now, here’s the Askmen Top 10:
10. Socks with Sandals – People still do this? And if so, are they hipsters trying to look bad?
9. Not shaving Tricky Areas – I think we’ve all fallen victim to missing a patch under the jaw.
8. Over Branding – Some logos are good (LaCoste, Levi’s) most are not. Best to look un-sponsored.
7. Wearing Running Shoes outside the gym – But I run outside. Jerks. (Click here for other casual shoe options)
6. Backpacks on Grownups – Unless you’re a member of the LDS faith spreading your word via bicycle, then stick to a decent leather or canvas portfolio. Like this one, or this one over here.
5. Black pants w/ Brown Shoes – It doesn’t look good. But then why does brown pants and black shoes go well?
4. Wearing clothes that are too big – This should Easily be #1 on the list. With a bullet. And by too big I don’t necessarily mean you’re a size large, and you got an XL shirt. I mean you’re a 40 jacket size, bought a 40, and never got it tailored. Need some guidance on how your suit should fit? Click here for our guide. And never forget, you wear the clothes, they don’t wear you. (See GQ’s example below)
3. Stuffed Pockets – You don’t even need a wallet when wearing a suit. Card case, money clip, you’re set.
2. Buttoning Blazers Incorrectly – I suppose. But here’s a real simple way to remember what gets buttoned where. On a two button, just the top button. On a one button, you’ve got one choice. And don’t wear three buttons..
1. White Socks with Dress Shoes – See #10. Had no idea this was still a problem
All and all a decent list. With a few too obvious choices. But now, on to…
The Top 3 Common Male Fashion Mistakes Askmen.com Just Missed
These might be a bit less obvious, but still mistakes that plenty of guys unknowingly make…
3. Too Short or Too Long Tie Length
It takes practice, but the tip of the tie should touch or just go past the top of your belt buckle. Yes each knot will tie differently. Yes each tie will too. Again, it takes practice
2. Wearing a boxy fit dress shirt + pleated pants to work
You’re a walking bolt of cloth at that point. Folds upon folds upon folds. That and the collar always pancakes out. Your shirt collar should not double as neck ailerons. Slim Fit shirts, collar stays, and a blazer works well.
1. Wearing a dress shirt untucked
Want to wear a shirt un-tucked? Put on the shirt, look in the mirror. If the bottom of the shirt covers all of, or heck even most of your crotch, it’s probably too long. Tuck it in. Anything past that and you’ll look like an unfurled flag.
Got anything else to add to the list? Consider it a public service. Leave your comments below…