5 Classic American Items Every Man Should Own – From Details Magazine
Americans lag a little behind the rest of the world when it comes to how we dress. And those of us who are Americans know this. For proof, look no further than the differences between the wardrobes of this year’s World Cup Teams. Thanks to kin who pointed out in the comments section of this recent post how the US just doesn’t match up sartorially. Sure the shoes were cool, but the guys look like a bunch of office scrubs on their way back from a lunch-time racquetball match. England looks like they own the club team USA just left.
But that doesn’t mean those of us in the Good Ol’ U.S. of A. can’t hang our hats on a few styles we’ve brought to the world. Details Magazine has made a list of their favorite Five Classic American Items that every guy should own. Click on over to the slideshow, then come back for the agreements, disagreements, and analysis below.
The Details List & The Dappered.com Take
1. Ray-Ban Original Wayfarers – NO. They just don’t look good on every face (mine included) and they can be obnoxiously large. Ray-Ban admitted the Wayfarer isn’t perfect when they debuted the softened New Ray-Ban Wayfarer. Of which they took most of the 80s out. Which is great. Because most of us don’t look like Tom Cruise in Risky Business. Which come to think of it, is also great.
2. Levi’s 501 Jeans – YES. Absolutely. Denim trends come and go, and then come back again, but the Levi’s 501 is the ever constant. Not too baggy, not too slim, straight leg, perfect washes… like this one.
3. Converse Chuck Taylors – NO. Not quite. Chucks are all well and good but they’re just not that comfortable. Jack Purcells and most PF Flyers look better, and are way more substantial in construction. Stick with those and your feet will thank you.
4. Timex Military Watch Exclusively for J. Crew – NO. This watch is everywhere. Yes its simplicity is attractive… but… c’mon. Whoever came up with the idea to slap a NATO wristband on a plain Jane Timex, have J. Crew market it, then sell it for an over the top $150 is a genius. Because guys are buying it like crazy.
5. Calvin Klein Underwear Boxer Briefs – YES. As long as they aren’t Spanx for men, that’s fine. But the European inspired trunk with shorter legs is superior for those of us who hate the ride up factor.
Agreements? Disagreements? Did Details miss any? Leave feedback in the comments below…