ASOS Fall Essentials 2010
ASOS has been a welcome addition to the affordable men’s style world, offering low-cost shoes, sweaters, and shipping to the US for just $6.00. They appear to be largely unknown to the masses, and they don’t have a large advertising presence on the web.
Sometimes their style is totally classic. Sometimes it’s very… European. Suits that aren’t just slim but circulation cutting skinny. T-shirts have hideously off the mark v-necks and stretched crew necks. And their models can be so pasty and thin that they make the Urban Outfitters crew look like well fed rednecks.
Taking all that into consideration, plus the fact that they’ve now asked their in-house Menswear designer to make a list of his “unmissable” fall essentials? That right there is a must read. Click on over for his top eight can’t miss pieces for fall 2010, then c’mon back to hear reaction from this side, and to leave your opinions in the comments section below.
The Official Dappered.com Take
1. Diesel Western Jacket $168.45 – NO: Not everyone can pull off the denim jacket. Plus, he says it’s a good layering piece for the upcoming winter season. A sweater is a good layering piece for winter. Try a wool coat instead.
2. ASOS Carrot Fit Jeans $50.54 – NO: What the f*ck? Who? Where? You’ll look like a smurf wearing a full diaper. Heavens to Betsy those are some ugly pants. Never. Ever. Not in a million years.
3. ASOS Suede Belt $N/A – NO: It’s not terrible but, is that really an essential?
4. Scotch and Soda Varsity Jacket $N/A – NO: You’re not in High School anymore. And if you are? Earn a letter. Buy the letter jacket. Affix letter to jacket. Don’t buy one that means nothing from some designer.
5. ASOS Rucksack $58.96 – YES: It’s completely casual, but… a nice change of pace from that weekend bag.
6 Nudie Denim Shirt $N/A – NO: Band collar + Bib Front + True Blue Denim = This guy has lost it.
7. ASOS Clubmaster $16.85 – NO: They’re a risk when they’re sunglasses. But if you’re wearing them tint and prescription free, you’re just playing dress up. Don’t be a poser.
8. Humor Dropped Crotch Trousers $134.76 – NO: Looks like a House Painter has been in the saddle for too long.
Your reaction? Ever buy anything from ASOS? What’d you get, and… how was the experience?