Esquire Magazine’s Top 10 Summer Deals on Winter Clothes
Buying out of season is one of the easiest ways to save big money on clothes. I’ve got patches of grass that are so dry from the weather and dog urine, that stepping on them would cause them to spontaneously combust. Now is not really the time I’m thinking about what to wear on a blustery day near Christmas. I’m just trying to not be the guy in the neighborhood with a yard that smells like smoke and dog piss.
But if you can set aside the climate that currently surrounds you (assuming you’re in the Northern Hemisphere), you can find some incredible deals on winter clothes. Esquire’s Josh Peskowitz is the man behind this top 10 list. Click on over for the slide show, then c’mon back for the Dappered.com Analysis.
The Dappered Take
1. Paul Stuart Wool/Cashmere Twisted Cable Crew: $249.75 (reg. $387.00) – There are some guys who say having an expensive, expertly crafted Wool and Cashmere sweater is a must. I’m not one of those guys.
2. Filson Mackinal Cruiser Jacket: $251.00 (reg. $330.00) – That’s a great looking heavy wool jacket from a legendary name, but you can’t dress it up. Stick with a more versatile Black or Navy Peacoat or Overcoat.
3. Clark’s Desert Boots: $69.99 (reg. $95.00) – Peskowitz is dead on when he says these hardly ever go on sale. It’s rare to find them for this low, but if you want something less clunky, go with the Desert Boot by J. Shoes.
4. Paul Stuart Glen Urquhart Suit: $898.88 (reg. $1,284) – That suit would look great on Dwayne Wade. If you’re not Dwayne Wade, skip it.
5. Fairfax Fair Isle Tie: $69.00 (reg. $130.00) – That tie would look terrible on Dwayne Wade. Or anyone else.
6. Gloverall English Wool Peacoat: $199.95 (reg. $435.00) – I can’t say enough good things about Sierra Trading Post. Been shopping there for outdoor gear and even casual/dress clothes for more than a decade. That pea-coat is probably super high quality, but the buttons are set a little too low. Aren’t they?
7. Golden Bear Distressed Goat Bomber: $199.95 (reg. $695) – Nice.
8. Eddie Bauer Mutli Purpose Upland Field Coat: $249.00 (reg. $395) – Nicer. Whether you own a 12-gauge or not, this is a nice coat. If you buy it, you at least better know how to knock a clay pigeon down.
9. Brooks Brothers Black Fleece Cashmere Tartan Crew Neck: $250.00 (reg. $500) – Holy crap! Somebody call Carlton Banks and tell him his favorite sweater is on sale!
10. Danner Mountain Light II Hiking Boots: $229.00 (reg. $250) – Fashion be damned on this one. Lined with Gortex, with a perfect above the ankle height and D-lacing system, the fact that they’re great looking is secondary to the functionality of these boots. Ditch the Brooks Brothers Sweater. Get something like these instead.