HTC DROID Eris Android Phone – $9.99
By Dappered Tech Corespondent Paul O.
Let’s start with the price — $9.99 on Amazon for a Google Android mobile phone on “America’s Best Network.” Not enough information yet?
The HTC Droid Eris is really just about identical to the flagship smartphone on Sprint, the HTC Hero (see CNET article for the proof). Because the Eris gets second billing on Verizon, you get the stellar deal. And they’re both awesome — touch-screen, no keyboard to gunk-up, Android OS, 5MP camera, GPS, music player, WiFi, Bluetooth — the works. It’s the Motorola Droid’s little brother, but you can get it without subsidizing the Droid’s $100M ad campaign. The phone rocks.
If you’re looking for a new cell phone, this is the one to get. And if you live near the fringe of T-Mobile / Sprint / AT&T service, Verizon is going to blow your mind.
Tech Specs for Verizon’s HTC Droid Eris:
- Android 1.5-powered smartphone with 3.2-inch touchscreen and easy access to your Favorite contacts, YouTube and Facebook
- Access a wealth of Google mobile services including Google Maps for turn-by-turn directions, Gmail, Google Talk, Calendar and more
- GPS-enabled for location services; Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g); 5-megapixel camera/camcorder; Bluetooth stereo music; microSD expansion (8 GB card included)
- Up to 3.5 hours of talk time, up to 373 hours (15.5 days) of standby time
- What’s in the Box: handset, rechargeable battery, wall/USB charger, 8 GB microSD memory card, quick start guide, user manual