It’ll be here before you know it. So if you’re in need of a few ideas on what to give (or in some cases, what to put on your own list) this year, this is the place to be for the next couple weeks. Our annual 12 days of Dappered covers highly giftable ideas with a few examples piggy-backed onto each. All will be reasonably affordable. See the growing archive here.
Many can’t escape their devices, even when they want to. It happens. But you can still protect ya tech without resorting to neon plastic and neoprene. Take a current day gadget, clad it in something less… techy looking… and you end up with a nice blend of form and function:
Phor the Phones
- Scotch & Soda Leather iPhone 4 Hardcover – $18.00 ($35)
- FFF Gracilis iPhone Case – $54.40 – $57.60 w/ toysareFFFun
- Fossil iPhone 5 Case w/ Card Slot – $35.00
- Restoration Hardware Italian Leather Hardshell Case – $20 – $25 (pictured at top)
This just in: Phones are expensive. Especially if you want to save some cash by buying your phone up front. So wrapping it in something that could prevent it from spider-cracking if dropped might be worthwhile. Spend as little or as much as you’d like. From the eighteen dollar Scotch & Soda case (comes in four colors) to the made in the USA Horween leather case from Form Function Form. Code at FFF is good for 20% off almost everything, and in addition to the discount, 20% of all Form Function Form sales through 12/16 go to the Salvation Army for their annual toy drive.
For the Tablets / E-readers
- Everlane Twill Tablet Case – $20.00
- Mari Forssell Denim & Leather Tablet Case – $85.00
- Byrd & Belle Kindle Sleeve – $48.00
- Levi’s Colorblock iPad Case – $38.00
- Gentleman’s Hardware iPad Case – $49
- Saddleback iPad Case – $88 – $98
While physical books do, in fact, have some serious advantages, tablets aren’t going anywhere any time soon. Whether it’s a kindle paperwhite used for only reading, or an iPad or Microsoft Surface that can do more than all the computers on the International Space Station… combined (source), most have a tablet already in possession, or one on their list. When travelling, wrap that tablet in twill, flannel, or leather to keep scratches and cracks at bay.
For the Laptops / Notebooks
- TOAST Wood MacBook Cover – $59 and up
- Wheelman & Co. E. Holmes Laptop Case – $85.00
- EasyAcc Felt Sleeve – $13.99
- Herschel & Supply Co. Anchor Sleeve – $39.99
For the real young readers: A laptop is just like a tablet, only it has its own physical keyboard. Like, actual buttons and stuff. These are the things Grandpa Dappered and his other 30 year old + compatriots used to use BEFORE touch screens came into existence (there was a time!), and many still prefer to use. Okay, joking here, but only half-joking. In 10 years, will the youngest consumers even know what a physical keyboard looks or feels like? Will the poor sap damned to playing the keytar in a rock band be doomed to strapping a big touch screen across his torso? Remember Payphones? How did we get to this point in this post?
But I’m cold. And there are wolves after me. Hello! Goodbye! Just leaving now.