Sales that deserve some attention heading into the weekend, or sometimes, a bit earlier. Might not be some massive once a year event, but still worth a look. Those are what make up these handfuls. Expect these things when necessary. Five of the better sales, one for each finger, are below, plus bonus sales if need be. Included are a few picks worth pointing out.
NOTE: Yep, the Thursday handful became the “Wednesday” handful this week, due to some time-sensitive sales, as well as some clearance events where stock might go pretty quick. It’s that time of year where brands & stores are trying to clear the decks of their inventory, to make way for fall stuff. Luckily for us, there’s a ton of summer left… since, y’know, it just started.
- Italian Cotton Sportcoat – $109 ($228)
- Kenton Suede Bucks – $96.50 ($198)
- Kenton Suede Tassel Loafers – $74.99 ($198)
- Kenton Suede Penny Loafers – $94 ($198)
This is a rare one. Usually 50% off is reserved for final sale goods. But not today. For 24 hours only, it’s half-off the sale section, with final-sale styles getting a 60% off cut. This is a true clearance. Fire sale even. So sizes/stock are moving extremely fast. All the shoes are goodyear welted. Not sure how to wear a tassel loafer? Stay tuned for Monday, when we’ll run a “how to wear it” featuring that very shoe. Pretty versatile, and solidly built, without being clunky.
UPDATE: J. Crew has been doing these one day deals all week, and while the 50% off sale items deal is now gone, there’s another pretty solid one for today, Thursday. DAYFOUR gets you 30% off “select dress up styles,” and there’s a nice selection of summer suiting up for the code. Chino, Seersucker, Oxford, and Chambray suits are all getting the cut. Ludlow & Crosby fits.
- Slim Fit White Poplin in Button or French Cuff – $29.50
- Slim Fit Sky Twill Check in Button or French Cuff – $29.50
- Made in the UK Bateson Calf Wingtip Oxfords – $279 ($349)
- Anderson Grain Leather Derby Brogues – $179 ($199)
Charles Tyrwhitt shirts can bounce around, a ton, in terms of price, but just under $30 is about where guys start clicking “buy”. Even with the steep $9.95 shipping (they ship from the UK). And as far as their shoes go… they’re solid quality. More about Tyrwhitt and their offerings can be found here.
- Tailored Fit Wool Blazer – $329 ($545)
- Tailored Fit 78% Wool / 22% Cotton”Chambray” (?) Suit – $475 ($795)
- Tailored Fit Linen Sportcoat – $329 ($545)
The American designer and former senior vice president of menswear at J. Crew has been making some serious waves lately. Nordstrom started carrying some of his stuff, and while the prices are a reach for a lot of us, his goods are high quality and usually made in the USA or Canada. Jackets have a half-canvas, and are cut to be tailored, but not tight. One hesitation: button stance appears to be a touch high… no? Even if it is, that Made in the USA navy wool blazer with grey buttons might be a terrific investment piece.
- Made in the USA Plaid Cotton Blazer – $119.40 ($575)
- Ernest Alexander Leather Briefcase – $209.30 ($595)
- Made in the USA Grey or Blue Striped Button Down – $34.30 ($138.50)
- Cashmere Herringbone Socks – $27.30 ($89.50)
- Tretorn Canvas Nylite Sneakers – $34.30 ($65)
It’s end of season clearance time, and Club Monaco is getting in on the act with a surprisingly solid sale section. Usually their sale section can be a bit more… paltry, but there’s lots of stuff in lots of sizes this time, and a good chunk is made here in the USA. The partially lined, plaid cotton sportcoat is particularly tempting. 3/4 roll, and those saturated shades aren’t something you see every day.
- Foundation Seersucker Suit – $226.40 ($450)
- Flatiron Premium Made in the USA Denim – $92 ($145)
- Striped Web Belt in Green/Grey, Khaki/Navy, or Navy/Red – $22.40 ($50)
Their sale section isn’t quite bursting, but it’s not on the sickly-thin side either. Some summer staples, and some cooler-weather steals are available. Lotta time left for a seersucker suit. And if you’re looking for a pair of Made in the USA dark-wash denim to invest in (but don’t want to do the super-rigid raw denim thing), then consider the Bonobos Flatiron line. Still pricey, even with the sale, but they’re cut & sewn here in the states from US woven denim. Code expires Wednesday, 6/24.
Also worth a mention
- Banana Republic: Extra 40% off sale styles w/ BRSALE
- GAP: 40% off w/ SAVE
- East Dane: Extra 25% off sale styles w/ 25MORE
- J. Crew Factory: Extra 40% off clearance items w/ EXTRA40
- Brooks Brothers: Their semi-annual sale is still going on. Picks here.
- Nordstrom: They’re still trying to move 7,000+ items in their clearance section. Best of the best can be found here.