Sales that deserve some attention heading into the weekend, or sometimes, a bit earlier. Might not be some massive once a year event, but still worth a look. Those are what make up these handfuls. Expect these things when necessary. Five of the better sales, one for each finger, are below, plus bonus sales if need be. Included are a few picks worth pointing out.
J. Crew: 20% off select items w/ SHOPTIME
- Kenton Suede Goodyear Welted Bucks – $158.40 ($198)
- Bowery Slim in Irish Herringbone Linen – $78.40 ($98)
- Short Sleeve Popover in Vintage Oxford – $51.60 ($64.50)
- Bowery Classic in Irish Hopsack Linen – $78.40 ($98)
- Italian Cotton Ludlow Sportcoat – $182.40 ($228)
J. Crew just released a bunch of new arrivals… but most of em’ aren’t up for the code. Like, only one of their new blazers, the reddish-pink one, is up for the code. Yes indeed, it’s another one of those select item sales, where they put the “SHOPTIME” code next to the item’s price, and if it doesn’t have that, it doesn’t get the cut. Don’t sleep on those short sleeve pop overs. Sure, fifty bucks is STEEP for a short sleeved shirt, but the blend between a button down and a polo comes in real handy once it heats up.
DSW: $10 off $69, $25 off $139, $40 off $199 w/ FEBRUARY
- Mercanti Fiorentini Wingtip Oxford – $124.95 ($149.95)
- Aston Grey Suede Derby – $59.95 ($69.95)
- Mercanti Fiorentini Cap Toe Oxford – $124.95 ($149.95)
- Cole Haan Charles Chukka Boot – $124.05 ($149.95)
- Brooks Adrenaline GTS 14 – $79.95 ($120ish… and yes really, it’s a great running shoe)
Like all DSW codes, you need to be a member of their “rewards program” (aka, their email list) to use it. No big deal though, since DSW doesn’t bombard your inbox with spam or anything. Mercanti Fiorentini, their house brand, continues to make solid bondwelt (AKA glued) shoes, in Italy, for the money. Decent leathers. Not bullet proof, but with reasonable care they should last. Meanwhile, Aston Grey’s suede derby is a dead ringer for Banana Republic’s suede buck. It’s gotta be the same friggin’ shoe.
GAP: 30% off, no exclusions w/ MAJOR
The Pick: 1969 Standard Taper Fit Jean in Resin Wash – $48.96 ($69.95)
GAP isn’t as exclusionary when it comes to codes and items as big brother B.R. (for example, there’s no random “GAP Picks” exclusions, like there is for Banana Republic), but they DO usually exclude jeans from codes. Which is odd, being that GAP has sold a monkeyhuffing ton of jeans over the years (or, maybe not odd at all, being that if they’ve got customers hooked on their jeans, why mark them down?). Bottom line: Now is a good time to give their newish “standard taper” fit a shot. More room in the thigh, and tapered at the ankle. Good if you’ve got somewhat larger, but not beastly thighs, yet want the tapered slim & trim look. Full review here. Code MAJOR runs through Saturday 2/21.
Haute Look: Allen Edmonds Sale
The Pick: Allen Edmonds Schautal Longwing Derby – $179.97
Sizes and selection for this flash sale are EXTREMELY LIMITED. But still… Those suede longwings. Hmmm. Never heard of the model, but the google (styleforum really) informs us that they’re something that’s made for Nordstrom Racks? Being that Haute Look is a Nordstrom operation, that makes sense. Made in the USA. Could make an outstanding year round casual shoe. From jeans to summer suits. Big thanks to Derrick C. for the heads up on this event.
J. Crew Factory: 30% off New Arrivals
- Thompson Unconstructed Sportcoat in Open Dot – $117.50
- Thompson Chino Suit Jacket & Matching Pant in Reg or Slim – $186
- Thompson Chambray Suit Jacket & Matching Slim Pant – $221
You guys know how this goes… J. Crew Factory releases their new arrivals, then knocks 30% off the “valued at” price. Thing is, those prices almost always dip further, and a 30% off code at JCF is just so-so. So, unless you’re in need, might want to hold off until these items get some breathing room on the shelves. That dot print blazer… some are going to embrace it, wholeheartedly, as fun. Others are going to stiff arm that thing and cite Rod Roddy’s wardrobe as the reason to back away (sidenot: Rest in Peace Rod). Could work for some. Might not for others.
BONUS: Suitsupply adds (a few) more new arrivals
The Pick: The York Fit Linen Suit – $469.00
Look what’s back. Sure, it’s linen. It’s gonna wrinkle. But man, it’s something else. Lowered button stance. Cool grey linen shell. Super light and breathable lining. Full review here.
Also worth a mention
- Nordstrom: It’s pretty picked over, but their Winter Clearance event ends this weekend. Picks here.
- Banana Republic: Extra 40% off sale items w/ BREXTRA … but boy… the sale section is crazy picked over.
- Rue La La: There’s a pretty decent Cole Haan event going on. Shoes, accessories, etc.
- Target: If you’ve got their Cartwheel app, you can save 25% off select (most?) men’s apparel. Hat tip to Ryan N. for the styletip.
- EXPRESS: $10 off $50, $30 off $100, or $70 off $200 w/ 1326.