What’s Dappered Threads? It’s our forum. Launched in 2011, Threads has become a not too big, not too small, just-right-sized forum that doesn’t put up with snobbery. All thanks to the users and hardworking mods. Once a month, one of the mods from Threads provides us with a highlight package of the last few weeks.
Fall is officially upon us and many Threads members are looking to branch out with the change of seasons. The most popular items seem to be boots, cords, and shawl cardigans, but some of the best discussion centers on various jacket styles including denim, bomber, moto, military, and tweed.
Here’s how the Friday Challenge works over on threads:
- A challenge is proposed (typically on a Monday, unless the poster is a slacker, in which case the wee hours of Tuesday morning will just have to suffice).
- Ideas are bounced around throughout the week, any questions are codified, and guidelines are put into place.
- On Friday (or before), everyone dresses according to the challenge’s parameters.
- On Saturday, all challengers are recorded and voting opens to see who best represents the challenge.
- A winner is chosen by majority vote on Sunday, and the winner is responsible for choosing the next week’s challenge.
October’s first Friday Challenge kicked off the season requiring challengers to show off their best fall foliage. Jamie (center) won out over Shomas, LesserBlackDog, and Jake 101 by 1 vote to take home the win. Jamie incorporated a wide range of fall colors pairing an Indian Cotton shirt with khakis, a gray blazer, and blue suede chukkas. His brown leather messenger bag and yellow pocket square accented the outfit perfectly. Check out all the outfits over here.
“This advice will probably be panned, but unless you are very skinny and wearing a jacket with very skinny lapels, I wouldn’t recommend wearing a tie that skinny. I think the tide has turned on the skinny tie trend, so pics from your engagement party will look dated fairly soon. I’d wear a more traditional width. High end menswear stores like The Armoury and No Man Walks Alone aren’t even carrying anything under 8 cm anymore.” – Fredd G Unn
Picking out the right tie for a special occasion can be challenging. Fredd G Unn offered some honest and sound advice on making a decision that will be timeless. And it sparked a great discussion about what width tie looks best on what body type.
Andrewlcraft snagged a great pair of Alan McAfee pebble grain oxhide wingtips and demonstrated how much of a difference a good polish can make.
This month many of our members shared some their favorite hobbies. While cooking and drinking/brewing beer seem to be the most popular among our members, I was amazed by the hidden talents held within our community, especially thedrakes stunning photography. Also, KamoteJoe? Breakdancing? Incredible.