Jon Stewart vs. CNN’s Roland Martin – Ascotgate 2010
The following, in no particular order, is a list of certain retro inspired clothing items and accessories, and an opinion on whether or not they’re a good idea to wear in the 21st century.
- Monacle – No
- Spats – No
- Pocket Watch – Eh… depends on if it’s an heirloom
- Tie Bar – Sure
- Knickers – No
- Horsehair Wigs – No. Looking at you England.
- Penny Farthing/Velicopede – You’re pushing it.
- Pocket Square – Yes
- Corset – For the ladies and only for “special” occasions… yes.
- Fedora – If you have a big head, no.
- Tri-corner Hat – No. Try a Fedora?
- Cape – No
The Ascot – No. It’s really, very difficult to be taken seriously in one. Neckties, yes. Of course, and here’s three that every man should own. Hell maybe even a bow-tie. But an Ascot?
The Daily Show’s Jon Stewart noticed (how could you not if you were watching) that CNN contributor Roland S. Martin wore an ascot on the air. And not just any old ascot, a loud one. What follows is one of the more hilarious media personality “wars” to break out in a long time.
Roland Martin responds, and Jon Stewart declares a winner…
Good for you Mr. Martin. Well played by both. But for the rest of us, I think we’ll all just stick to basic neckties.