GAP Rigid Rinse Selvage Authentic Fit Jeans – $69.99 (reg. $88)
Selvage is the cashmere of the denim world. For most of us in the rank and file, the unique benefits are underwhelming when you consider the extra cost. Here’s what you get with most selvage denim jeans:
- A crisply finished edge on the interior seam (see comparison below).
- The ability to show off said seam when your jeans are cuffed.
- More often than not they’re made from stronger, more durable denim.
- Manufactured in a more traditional way on older looms. Less machining.
- An overall cleaner and more simple look.
- Sometimes made with unrinsed, raw, and ready to bleed if it gets wet denim
- A hefty price tag.
For denim heads, an expensive pair of high end selvage jeans are desirable. But in the last year or two, mainstream brands like J. Crew and The Gap have picked up the trend and are offering their own less-expensive (but nowhere near cheap) versions. Must be an attempt to rope the more cost conscious shoppers into the trend.
That’s really about it. Overrated? Your thoughts? Put it all in the comments section below.
For the record, if it’s not painfully obvious, I’ve never understood the fascination.