GQ’s Best Trends – Accessories for Spring / Summer 2010
Hey look at that. If finally warmed up. The clothes you’re wearing have surely taken a turn for the spring and summer weather, but have your shoes, watch, and other accessories done the same? Click here for GQ’s slide-show of their must have accessories for Spring and Summer. See below for the list and the Dappered.com, not-quite-GQ / more down to earth / will I look like a total dweeb… analysis… of GQ’s list of “must haves.”
1. New Wave Boat Shoes – Kind of trendy, and come fall you might wish you would have gone with a pair of Classic American sneakers instead. Still want a pair of boat shoes? Ask yourself these questions: 1. Do I own a boat? If yes, buy boat shoes. 2. Will I most likely be on a boat at some point this summer? If yes, buy boat shoes. If no to both, buy these Converse Jack Purcells instead.
2. Patterned Pocket Squares – GQ Suggests a $75 Robert Talbott Pocket Square. Seventy-five bucks for a piece of square cloth. They also suggest a Land’s End Canvas model for $10. Spend less, get the Land’s End one.
3. Plastic Aviators – Even more trendy-than the boat shoes. Aviators should have metal frames. Want plastic frame glasses? Grab a pair of these Persol-like Club Moncao glasses for just $40.
4. The Straw Fedora – Not everyone can pull this off. Seems like you also have to BMI in the single digits too. There’s something unintentionally comical about a heavier dude in a hat. One of the GQ suggestions is a $240 Gucci hat. Proof that big names can charge an arm and a leg for STRAW. One something less summery? Try a black straw fedora. See Original Penguin for a terrific and cheap example.
5. Brightly Colored Watch Faces – Not ready to spend $3,000 on a Breitling with a bright yellow face? Get the same effect, for way less, with this Yellow-Dial White-Mako watch from Orient. Never heard of the brand? They come pretty highly recommended from a Dappered.com reader.
6. Brighter Stripe Ties – Sure thing, as long as you keep the patterns simple. Just try not to wear it with the yellow watch and goofy summer hat. Best place to get ties on the internet at affordable prices? Easily TheTieBar.