Did Sam Worthington Really wear these $35.00 Payless shoes to the Oscars?
Here’s what we know.
- When asked about his, uh, “affordable looking” Oscar night foot-wear, Avatar-star Sam Worthington told a reporter from the AP that his shoes were “comfortable… and the ones they (a stylist?) gave me made me look like a goblin.” So he rejected the first pair, and wore his own.
- Somewhere along the line, his shoes were tagged as coming from Payless
- When asked, a rep from Payless Shoe Stores said they Sam’s shoes were the Dexter Pembroke Plain toe Oxford which they sell through Payless.com.
- Those shoes started selling like crazy. Some even say they came close to selling out.
- There’s no frigign’ way those shoes are the Dexter Pembroke Plain Toe Oxford.
Here’s why they’re not the Dexter Pembroke Plain Toe Oxford. Examine the pic from Payless.com below…
It’s actually not a bad looking shoe. Extremely plain, but other than that, no big drawbacks. It’s a black laceup. Sam ain’t wearing plain black lace-ups. He’s wearing some sort of bumpy thick toe, reinforced eyelet psuedo-workboots. The toe is MUCH bigger/thicker than the Dexter Pembroke. And the eyelets sure seem to have some sort of gray/lighter black ring around em’. They almost look like knock off Doc Martins:
Maybe it’s just the lighting, but I’m calling BS on this one. Nice work by the Payless people for jumping on it, finding a classic black lace-up to sell, and moving some product with viral marketing.