Did Sam Worthington Really wear these $35.00 Payless shoes to the Oscars?
Here’s what we know.
- When asked about his, uh, “affordable looking” Oscar night foot-wear, Avatar-star Sam Worthington told a reporter from the AP that his shoes were “comfortable… and the ones they (a stylist?) gave me made me look like a goblin.” So he rejected the first pair, and wore his own.
- Somewhere along the line, his shoes were tagged as coming from Payless
- When asked, a rep from Payless Shoe Stores said they Sam’s shoes were the Dexter Pembroke Plain toe Oxford which they sell through Payless.com.
- Those shoes started selling like crazy. Some even say they came close to selling out.
- There’s no frigign’ way those shoes are the Dexter Pembroke Plain Toe Oxford.
Here’s why they’re not the Dexter Pembroke Plain Toe Oxford. Examine the pic from Payless.com below…
It’s actually not a bad looking shoe. Extremely plain, but other than that, no big drawbacks. It’s a black laceup. Sam ain’t wearing plain black lace-ups. He’s wearing some sort of bumpy thick toe, reinforced eyelet psuedo-workboots. The toe is MUCH bigger/thicker than the Dexter Pembroke. And the eyelets sure seem to have some sort of gray/lighter black ring around em’. They almost look like knock off Doc Martins:
Maybe it’s just the lighting, but I’m calling BS on this one. Nice work by the Payless people for jumping on it, finding a classic black lace-up to sell, and moving some product with viral marketing.
Mr. Worthington made our best dressed list, but those shoes just look rough. They’re awkward. And Sam, if you’re reading this… next time go with the DKNY Max Cap toe oxfords. On sale for $70.