All Hail the Sweater Vest!
Sweater vests are historically the uniform of the dweebs. The too-preppy. The squares.
But that’s because they wear them wrong. Here’s how to put the most underrated piece of men’s clothing to work for you.
- Keep the Fabric Thin. You don’t want bulk. You want to streamline your shape.
- Speaking of bulk, if you, yourself are bulky, a sweater vest might not look the best. You’ll risk looking like you’re perpetually dressed for the annual Christmas Party.
- Get the right fit. Sweater vests have GOT to stay close to your body.
- Stick with dark, neutral colors.
- Try to stay away from patterns. That’s what your tie is for.
- Buy sweater vests that keep the collar high. Dip too low and it looks awkward.
Sweater vests can be the solution to many a sartorial problem. Say you work in a dressed up office but can’t afford a suit for every day of the week. In between your suits, mix in a more affordable chino / dress shirt / sweater vest / tie look.
Maybe your work is a bit more dressed down. You can execute the “poor man’s three-piece” and be the sharpest one in the building. Just wear a pair of dress boots, dark jeans, and a crisp collared shirt under a sweater vest and blazer.
They’re also perfect for those days when you forgot to iron. Hide the wrinkles under a vest and blazer, and no one will notice.
Sure the stereotype of a sweater vest wearing guy isn’t the most masculine. But when worn correctly, your shoulders will stand out, your shirt will stay close, and you’ll cut an impressive silhouette wherever you’re at.