Shannon Sharpe Style Analysis: Week 15 – Lotta grey. Lotta pattern.
Shannon Sharpe has quietly become one of the best dressed men on sports television. Sometimes. Unlike his competition (looking at you slim solid tie all the time Jesse Palmer) Sharpe takes risks. Sometimes the risks work and sometimes they don’t. The styleometer below is how we’ll track and analyze the CBS analyst’s look. Ten is a a big win, zero is awful, and five is a forgettable “mneh.” 50% of the final grade will be the average score of your votes.
- The Suit by itself: It’s Tom Ford, and man does it look incredible (video here.) The bold glen plaid really jumps off the fabric. It’s one of those suits that you’ve got to have a big personality to pull off.
- The Shirt by itself: Also Tom Ford. Excellent way to work in white without angering the lighting guys.
- The Tie by itself: Also works well with the shirt as seen over here.
- The Lapels: Notch! And this is how you do a substantial notch lapel. No Ludlow like skinny for Shannon.
- The Tie Knot: Not as small as last week, still big, but not grapefruit sized either.
- The Watch: It was a Panerai, and had a real rich looking brown strap. It was the one bit of color in his outfit that you see during the desk shots. Other than the flag pin of course.
- Too much of the same, too close together: Here’s a full rundown on mixing patterns. Shannon is wearing three patterns. Even though the tie is technically a solid, there’s so much texture there that it counts as a diamond pattern. That diamond pattern is pretty close to the size of the checks on his shirt, which are awfully close to the size of the checks made by the lines on his jacket. There’s no contrast here. I totally get what Shannon is going for. And some will probably love it. But here’s why it doesn’t work: Zebras.
With such little contrast, both in pattern and color, your eyeballs are working overtime trying to figure out where the hell the suit ends, the shirt begins, and the tie starts. It’s the same reason why Zebra herds stay close together. All those similar colors and patterns on top of each other are a real pain on the brain to figure out. Is it interesting? Absolutely. Is it also hard enough on the eyes to be distracting? Yeah.
The Final Grades
From Dappered: 4.0 All of the individual pieces are awesome. I like gravy.* I also like chocolate ice cream. They’re both brown. Doesn’t mean you should put one on top of the other. That said, the suit still fits really well, and even as a whole it looks better than some ill fitting four button monster other analysts might have worn. (*Note: This isn’t true. I actually hate gravy)
From the Dappered Readers: 4.7 And let the record show there were plenty of votes for 7+
The Final Grade: 4.35 From a ten one week to a 4.35 the next. That’d be like the Packers wrecking a perfect season by losing to the Che… oh wait. Great googly…
Shannon Sharpe's Style - Week 15
- 10 (5%, 9 Votes)
- 9 (2%, 4 Votes)
- 8 (8%, 16 Votes)
- 7 (14%, 26 Votes)
- 6 (19%, 36 Votes)
- 5 (22%, 42 Votes)
- 4 (10%, 19 Votes)
- 3 (13%, 25 Votes)
- 2 (4%, 8 Votes)
- 1 (3%, 6 Votes)
Total Voters: 191
Click here for previous weeks of the Shannon Sharpe Styleometer.