Shannon Sharpe Style Analysis: Week 14 – Plaid, Windowpane and a Velvet Tie
Shannon Sharpe has quietly become one of the best dressed men on sports television. Sometimes. Unlike his competition (looking at you slim solid tie all the time Jesse Palmer) Sharpe takes risks. Sometimes the risks work and sometimes they don’t. The styleometer below is how we’ll track and analyze the CBS analyst’s look. Ten is a a big win, zero is awful, and five is a forgettable “mneh.” 50% of the final grade will be the average score of your votes.
- The Suit: Unreal. Looks like a glen plaid with a purple-leaning-lavender windowpane. Equal parts traditional and modern. It’s Zegna, and it looks like (and probably cost) a million bucks.
- The Buttons: Three button this week and a terrific one at that. Nice stance, looks more sporting. Not one of those ultra high three buttons from the 90s where there was hardly any lapel. Speaking of…
- The Lapels: NOTCH.
- The Shirt: Plenty of white with a thick purple stripe that plays off the minor color in his suit. Plus, that might be one of if not the best collar we’ve seen Shannon in.
- The Tie Knot: Extremely well done. Maybe the most under control knot so far this season.
- The Tie Fabric: Is that thing velvet? That… is something.
- The Pocket Square: Usually not a fan of the poofy pocket square. But this is a small poof. A pf. Which looks more than all right up against the very English looking color and texture of the suit.
- The watch and cuff links: Not everyone can pull off gold. Shannon can.
- The Prize for guessing his outfit: Each week Shannon asks his Twitter followers to take a shot at who makes his suit, shirt, tie, and watch. Can’t recall anyone ever getting them all. Unless someone’s really keeping track and he does repeats, can’t imagine anyone ever nailing all four, but this week he was offering up two Super Bowl tickets.
- The Moire Pattern: Certainly not Shannon’s fault, but with all the lines in his suit so packed together, sometimes they can create an odd Moire effect (as seen up top.) Those dark lines that bend and warp towards his lapels? Those aren’t actually “there.” They weren’t really showing up that much though.
The Final Grades
From Dappered: 10.0 A friggin’ VELVET tie? Come the hell on. Even the size of the knot is perfect. The whole thing is arguably better than the 10 from week 11. The suit pattern, texture, the bold colors on the thick stripes of the shirt… I’m not sure anyone else on sports television could even come close to pulling off this outfit the way Sharpe does.
From the Dappered Readers: 9.1 This week was probably his best so far.
The Final Grade: 9.55 Bravo Shannon. That suit is just incredible.
Shannon Sharpe's Style - Week 14
- 10 (52%, 123 Votes)
- 9 (27%, 65 Votes)
- 8 (11%, 27 Votes)
- 7 (6%, 15 Votes)
- 6 (1%, 2 Votes)
- 5 (2%, 5 Votes)
- 4 (0%, 1 Votes)
- 3 (0%, 0 Votes)
- 2 (0%, 0 Votes)
- 1 (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 237
Click here for previous weeks of the Shannon Sharpe Styleometer.