Shannon Sharpe Style Analysis: Week 10 – Big Lapels Sharpe vs. Grey w/ Stripes Strahan
Shannon Sharpe has quietly become one of the best dressed men on sports television. Sometimes. Unlike his competition (looking at you slim solid tie all the time Jesse Palmer) Sharpe takes risks. Sometimes the risks work and sometimes they don’t. The styleometer below is how we’ll track and analyze the CBS analyst’s look. Ten is a a big win, zero is awful, and five is a forgettable “mneh.” 50% of the final grade will be the average score of your votes.
More than a few of you have pointed out in the comments or on twitter that along with Shannon Sharpe, Michael Strahan is doing more than his fair share when it comes to upping the overall style quotient on NFL pregame shows. Along with keeping track of Shannon, this week we’ll put the hall of famer up against the single season sack record holder (Favre, you stink.) Rank Shannon and then pick who wins the head to head matchup below…
- The Suit Material: Maybe you had to see it in HD, but man did the fabric of this suit look incredible. Ralph Lauren, Tom Ford, or Zegna? Who knows. But it’s something.
- The Suit Pattern: Pinstripes without looking like one of Capone’s hit-men. Well played.
- The Tie Width: That’s downright skinny for Shannon. Slim and well balanced with the collar.
- The Tie Knot: Have we seen the last of grapefruit sized knots on Sharpe?
- The Tie Pattern: Despite the shine causing a glare on the camera more often than not, the Burberry check was big enough to work awfully well with the thin uniform pin stripe. Still bold and fun, which is Sharpe.
- The Cool Color Palate: Shannon goes back once again to a medium blue shirt, but along with the color of the suit and colors in the tie, it produced a real clean not too stuffy look.
- The Fit of the Suit: This might have more to do with his commitment to fitness, but he is always wearing his suit. His suit is never wearing him.
- The Lapels: They’re enormous. Wings of an albatross big. And up against that slimmer tie, they just blurt out all over the screen even more. What’d they use as a template for those things, a bat’leth?
The Final Grades
From Dappered: 6.0 The lapels just kill it (for me.) Aside from the lapels the suit looked terrific on camera. The rest of it looked pretty good too, but it’s Shannon’s lapels that could give Strahan the win in the head to head.
And about Strahan… Although also in peaks, Strahan’s lapels are under control. His lighter grey suit, white striped shirt, and blue striped tie combo is a safe play, but still a terrific one. It’s the shape of his suit that might be an issue. When compared to Sharpe’s, Strahan’s suit looks more like a boxy Marino style cut with lower armholes and a higher button stance. It’ll be interesting to see how you guys vote in the head to head match up.
From the Dappered Readers: 7.0 You guys weren’t as harsh on the lapels, and the fit of his suit continues to win fans.
The Final Grade: 6.5 Not bad. Not amazing. Word from twitter is that he’s already thinking about what suit he’ll be wearing this upcoming weekend. In the head to head, Shannon was the clear winner over Strahan.
Shannon Sharpe's Style - Week 10
- 10 (6%, 11 Votes)
- 9 (6%, 12 Votes)
- 8 (25%, 47 Votes)
- 7 (38%, 70 Votes)
- 6 (9%, 16 Votes)
- 5 (10%, 19 Votes)
- 4 (5%, 9 Votes)
- 3 (1%, 1 Votes)
- 2 (1%, 1 Votes)
- 1 (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 186
Whose look was better in Week 10?
- Shannon Sharpe (61%, 128 Votes)
- Michael Strahan (39%, 82 Votes)
Total Voters: 210
Click here for previous weeks of the Shannon Sharpe Styleometer.