Shannon Sharpe Style Analysis: Week 4 – Purple
Shannon Sharpe has quietly become one of the best dressed men on sports television. Sometimes. Unlike his competition (looking at you slim solid tie all the time Jesse Palmer) Sharpe takes risks. Sometimes the risks work and sometimes they don’t. The styleometer below is how we’ll track and analyze the CBS analyst’s look. Ten is a a big win, zero is awful, and five is a forgettable “mneh.” 50% of the final grade will be the average score of your votes.
- The Colors: Purple isn’t something everyone can pull off in large doses. Shannon nails it. Mrs. Dappered once said she thought Shannon Sharpe looked “regal” sitting up there with the other guys. Well, purple is the color of kings and he’s making Dan and Boomer look like lowly serfs.
- The Lapels: Hell yes that’s a notch lapel! And the button stance is perfect. It’s lower compared to the higher two buttons in mass production now, but not great grandpa low. Well placed.
- The Shirt: Checked but with plenty of white. The white adds needed contrast to the suit and the all purple tie in front of it. Great big and bold spread collar.
- The Tie Texture & color: It’s no shined up Regis Philbin-esque solid silk. It looked like it was either a wool, wool silk, or wool cotton blend. Not a bad way to work in some depth. Could use a tie dimple, but that’s picky.
- The Tie Bar: Worn high and tight (perhaps too high?) and not all the way across the (wide) tie.
- The Suit: Conservative in color with no pattern is the absolute right play. Wear a striped suit with all that bold in the center and you’re going to have a catastrophe on your hands. Tailored to the nines as usual.
- The Tie Knot: Jeebus. It’s the size of an orange. A wide spread collar means a wider tie knot for balance, but this one sure looks like it could have been tied smaller. Not a four in hand or anything, a double windsor sure, but… where do you even GET ties that can tie a knot this big? Do they not taper at the end? Are they 10 feet long and you just keep looping? Cowher apparently knows where to get these things too.
- The Cacophony of Accoutrements: Major applause to the NFL for celebrating breast cancer awareness month with the pink ribbons, hats, gloves, shoes, and towels you’ll see during games and broadcasts. But the ribbon, flag pin, microphone, tie bar, and poofy pocket square is starting to look like a Kim’s game.
The Final Grades
From Dappered: 8.9 Ex-NFLers are to tie knots as Flavor Flav is to wearable time pieces. If it wasn’t for the quintuple windsor (or whatever that is) this would be nearing 10. Sharpe tweeted before the broadcast that he’d be wearing something different that day, and wanted to know if it was a keeper. If it weren’t for the knot…
From the Dappered Readers: 7.5 Pretty high. Overall, great look with a few hiccups thrown in.
The Final Grade: 8.2 The highest of his three appearances. Should be interesting to see how he follows this up.
Shannon Sharpe Style - Week 4
- 10 (5%, 10 Votes)
- 9 (27%, 59 Votes)
- 8 (31%, 69 Votes)
- 7 (16%, 35 Votes)
- 6 (9%, 20 Votes)
- 5 (5%, 11 Votes)
- 4 (5%, 11 Votes)
- 3 (1%, 3 Votes)
- 2 (1%, 2 Votes)
- 1 (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 220
Click here for previous weeks of the Shannon Sharpe Styleometer.