Shannon Sharpe Style Analysis: Week 6 – The Pattern Hail Mary
Shannon Sharpe has quietly become one of the best dressed men on sports television. Sometimes. Unlike his competition (looking at you slim solid tie all the time Jesse Palmer) Sharpe takes risks. Sometimes the risks work and sometimes they don’t. The styleometer below is how we’ll track and analyze the CBS analyst’s look. Ten is a a big win, zero is awful, and five is a forgettable “mneh.” 50% of the final grade will be the average score of your votes.
- The Tie Knot: Hold the phone. It’s no bite sized four-in-hand, but that’s proportional!
- The Tie Width: It’s not aircraft carrier deck wide either. Nice.
- The Colors: Greys, a softer purple, maybe a little orange…
- The Cuffs: This hasn’t been noted yet, but Shannon shows some shirt cuff. And that’s good.
- The Lapels: It’s a “big” suit. Not in size, it’s tailored as always, but just in presence. Light grey with a darker stripe on top calls for something more than notch. And the peaks here aren’t out of control.
- The Pocket Square: Barely there. If there is one. There might be one. Just fine if there’s not.
- Just the flag pin: Shannon knows he’s playing with fire here thanks to the patterns. Everything else has to be dead simple.
- The Patterns: He probably gave the lighting guy a heart attack when he showed up for work, and the cameras might have melted down when their chips tried to interpret all those lines. But somehow when it’s in motion? It actually looks…
The Final Grades
From Dappered: 9.0 I feel like a condemned man going to the gallows. But allow me to plead my case. This is 100% about context. I’m not wearing this. You’re not wearing this. Shannon Sharpe is wearing this. And he’s not wearing it to meet the President. He’s not even wearing it week 1. It’s almost mid season, and he just reared back and threw a Hail Mary.
Like an onside kick in the Super Bowl coming out of half time, it’s insane. And I know some will throw their hands (or lunch) up and say… NO. NEVER. But the width of the stripes is different enough from the density of the pattern on the shirt. Barely. And the orange and purple of the tie are close enough in shade that it almost makes it a half-solid. I yelled when I first saw it. But it grew on me quickly and I honestly like it. Maybe I should plead temporary insanity because the tie knot is under control. And having seen it in HD helps. But you can tell his wardrobe isn’t an afterthought unlike some of the others on the set. That said, he can’t do this again this year.
From the Dappered Readers: 7.4 Much higher than expected.
The Final Grade: 8.2 He’s getting close to putting it all together.
Shannon Sharpe Style - Week 6
- 10 (12%, 28 Votes)
- 9 (19%, 44 Votes)
- 8 (25%, 57 Votes)
- 7 (19%, 43 Votes)
- 6 (8%, 18 Votes)
- 5 (2%, 4 Votes)
- 4 (7%, 16 Votes)
- 3 (5%, 11 Votes)
- 2 (1%, 3 Votes)
- 1 (1%, 2 Votes)
Total Voters: 226
Click here for previous weeks of the Shannon Sharpe Styleometer.