Shannon Sharpe Style Analysis: Week 5 – Conservative & Dark
Shannon Sharpe has quietly become one of the best dressed men on sports television. Sometimes. Unlike his competition (looking at you slim solid tie all the time Jesse Palmer) Sharpe takes risks. Sometimes the risks work and sometimes they don’t. The styleometer below is how we’ll track and analyze the CBS analyst’s look. Ten is a a big win, zero is awful, and five is a forgettable “mneh.” 50% of the final grade will be the average score of your votes.
- Less pins, bars, and doo-dads: There’s a lot less going on up front. Just two less things this week (no tiebar or ribbon) but man does it look a lot less busy compared to last week. Part if it is a solid shirt, part of it is the very simple and clean pocket square.
- The Lapels: Notch lapel again. Wider width goes well with the thicker tie and spread collar.
- The Shirt Color: Looks like a lighter blue than the blue shirt he wore the first two weeks.
- The Tie: Not wild and not boring either. Thicker solid stripes off set by equally as thick stripes with a micro pattern. Just a few colors and they’re all pretty muted.
- The Pocket Square: Crisp, bright white, and proves that your pocket square doesn’t always have to match a color in your tie, shirt, etc…
- The Button Stance: Notice how blocky the other guys on set look? It’s because their buttons are so high that their lapels get chopped. A lower (but not crazy low) button stance elongates your torso.
- The Collar Gap: First, a note on TV in general. Television is awful to real life images. Put anything in a frame and all of a sudden every little thing stands out. In this case, it’s the gap between the back of Shannon’s shirt collar and his jacket. It’s pretty noticeable if you look for that kind of thing. 95% of the world wouldn’t notice. (For instance, looks fine here.) But guys in the, uh, “style community” do, and some poop their pants over it. I like to keep the collar-gap induced trouser defecation to a minimum, but it is going to be noticed by some.
- The Tie Knot: I still just don’t know how he does it. Fills that spread collar though.
The Final Grades
From Dappered: 8.5 I like the fact that he went gingham, purple tie, etc… last week and then swung back in the opposite direction with a more conservative look. It’s business ready for sure. While some will just kill him for the collar gap, he might have his IFB cord (earphone) running up the back there, or, maybe he just sat down on his jacket weird. The minimal color palate is sort of Jesse Palmer-ish.
From the Dappered Readers: 7.7 The highest score from you guys so far.
The Final Grade: 8.1 Not as high as last week, and with the muted colors this time around you have to wonder what’s in store for this upcoming Sunday.
Shannon Sharpe Style - Week 5
- 10 (5%, 8 Votes)
- 9 (26%, 44 Votes)
- 8 (34%, 58 Votes)
- 7 (19%, 32 Votes)
- 6 (9%, 15 Votes)
- 5 (2%, 4 Votes)
- 4 (3%, 5 Votes)
- 3 (1%, 1 Votes)
- 2 (1%, 2 Votes)
- 1 (1%, 1 Votes)
Total Voters: 169
Click here for previous weeks of the Shannon Sharpe Styleometer.