Men’s Summer Fashion Mistakes – From Askmen.com
You’d think us guys would at least get one season right. Winter, Spring, Fall, now Summer… doesn’t matter. When it comes to dressing seasonally well, style male-fail is a year round business. The guys at Askmen.com have released a short list of Men’s Summer Fashion Mistakes. You know the drill, click on over to the Askmen feature, then head back this way for some reaction, analysis, and some needed additions to their list.
Askmen.com’s Men’s Summer Fashion Mistakes (with the Dappered.com Take)
1. Socks and Shoes – Not socks and sandals, shoes. Look, sockless with shoes is for some, just not for others. Yes you should stay away from socks if it’s a summer shoe like a driving loafer. But if you don’t feel right getting your dress oxfords all gooey? Sock away.
2. Cargo Shorts – They’ve had their time. A slim but not tight pair like any of these is a huge upgrade.
3. Strong Fragrances – This rule should also go for spring, fall and winter.
4. Flip Flops – Is this a zero tolerance policy? What’s wrong with these?
5. Tank Tops – Adam Fox from Askmen writes: “The Tanks is meant to be worn as an undershirt” And even then, it still doesn’t make sense to me. What’s the point? And as a stand-alone piece, don’t.
6. Board Shorts – Like Cargo shorts, they can make you look really unbalanced. Trade them in for trunks.
7. Going Shirtless – If you actually walk around shirtless, may you end up marrying the chick who goes out to the clubs on her birthday wearing a tiara. I hope you two produce lots and lots of screaming kids.
8. Baggy Pique Polos – I once worked with a sales-guy who’s a scratch golfer, in his 50s, and wears golf polos so friggin’ big the short sleeves end halfway down his forearms. They’re like capris for his torso. The shoulder seam should be on your shoulder.
9. Putting your sunglasses on the back of your head – This makes about as much sense as how Kriss Kross chose to wear their pants… none. It just looks dumb. Hang them from your shirt collar, put them in a pocket, or (gasp) hold them. Your lady-friend probably also has a purse you can stash them in too. Keep wearing them on the back of your head, and you won’t have a lady friend for long.
Agreements, disagreements and additions, leave it all in the comments section below.