Shannon Sharpe Style Analysis: Week 17 – Velvet. The Sequel.
Shannon Sharpe has quietly become one of the best dressed men on sports television. Sometimes. Unlike his competition (looking at you slim solid tie all the time Jesse Palmer) Sharpe takes risks. Sometimes the risks work and sometimes they don’t. The styleometer below is how we’ll track and analyze the CBS analyst’s look. Ten is a a big win, zero is awful, and five is a forgettable “mneh.” 50% of the final grade will be the average score of your votes.
- The Balance: If your shirt is a loud pattern with more than two colors, best to make your jacket and tie subtle. If you’re going to work in a rich texture like velvet, it best be dark without too much shine. Well done by Shannon.
- The Lapel to Tie Proportion: If you’re gonna have big lapels, a skinny tie would look out of place. This was the first week in recent memory that Shannon didn’t have his jacket buttoned while siting, and it showed the width of his tie. Substantial. Which is needed with those lapels.
- The Tie Knot: Big, but it fits his collar without being enormous. And back to the jacket being unbuttoned. His tie looks like it’d hit his belt when standing. So he’s not going Merril Hoge to get the knot size.
- The Fit: It all looks dead on as usual.
- Someone actually won the contest: Believe it or not, someone actually guessed the maker of Shannon’s suit (or in this case, blazer) shirt, tie, and watch. The correct answers were Tom Ford for the jacket, slacks and tie, a Turnbull & Asser Shirt, and the Watch was a Rolex Yacht Master II. Prize was two tickets to the Super Bowl, but due to work commitments the winner instead opted for a game worn & autographed jersey. How’d she win? Shannon wears a lot of Tom Ford. He’s worn a Turnbull & Asser shirt before, but maybe just once. His watches seem like they’ve been Rolex, Cartier, or Paneri. Still… not easy. Congrats to @IrishMason.
- The Shirt Pattern: It’s different. But it certainly seems like it’s different just for the sake of being different.
- The Lapels: He likes big peaks. And those would be big peaks.
- All the chest adornments: Microphone, pocket square, American Flag pin, and tie bar. Along with the slight sheen of the velvet and shirt pattern, there’s a lot going on.
The Final Grades
From Dappered: 7.5 Shannon is always going to score above Dan and Boom because his stuff is tailored so well, but this getup was pretty average for him. The shirt was the centerpiece, and it was different, but not really all that great. Fine execution with keeping the rest of his outfit solid and dark though. Nice contrast too. Oh, and in case you were wondering, Shannon’s on-air wardrobe does come from his own personal collection.
From the Dappered Readers: 6.7 Tough room this week for Sha-NON!
The Final Grade: 7.1 It’s the shirt. Total credit to Shannon for once again trying something different.
Shannon Sharpe's Style - Week 17
- 10 (3%, 5 Votes)
- 9 (9%, 14 Votes)
- 8 (19%, 29 Votes)
- 7 (21%, 32 Votes)
- 6 (21%, 31 Votes)
- 5 (15%, 22 Votes)
- 4 (8%, 12 Votes)
- 3 (5%, 7 Votes)
- 2 (1%, 2 Votes)
- 1 (0%, 3 Votes)
Total Voters: 149
Click here for previous weeks of the Shannon Sharpe Styleometer.