Shannon Sharpe Style Analysis: Week 13 – Velvet and Paisley
Shannon Sharpe has quietly become one of the best dressed men on sports television. Sometimes. Unlike his competition (looking at you slim solid tie all the time Jesse Palmer) Sharpe takes risks. Sometimes the risks work and sometimes they don’t. The styleometer below is how we’ll track and analyze the CBS analyst’s look. Ten is a a big win, zero is awful, and five is a forgettable “mneh.” 50% of the final grade will be the average score of your votes.
- The Blazer: Yep. Onions. And why not? It’s football. It’s supposed to be fun. And while not everyone can pull it off, Shannon Sharpe has the personality and swagger to absolutely do so.
- The Lapels: Despite what some may think, we’re not all anti-peak lapel here. If you’re gonna go velvet on national Television, go ahead and fire off the peaks.
- The Trousers: Unlike George from Seinfeld, Shannon is not draped entirely in velvet. Instead, he wore grey pants (sorry, slacks) that were most easily visible during that one round table segment when all the guys sit in the leather chairs. Perfect play for a rich blue velvet blazer.
- The Colors of his Watch: Deep brown and gold. Cartier to be exact. That thing probably costs more than most of our daily drivers. About as big as some of them too, but more on that in a second…
- The Shoes: Again. Looked expensive. Had no idea what they were though.
- The Pocket Square: A razor sharp punch of white. A sliver of awesomeness against the blazer.
- The Paisley Tie: The velvet jacket should be the focus. Adding paisley and velvet is like arriving to a red carpet event in a Rolls Royce… towing a Testarossa. But since the blazer and shirt were solid, the paisley doesn’t get too loud with any other patterns (since there are none.) That and with the grey pants, the whole of the outfit looked better than from the desk up. But still… the velvet. Let the velvet do its velvet thing.
- The Tie Knot: Looks a little on the XL side this week. Big pattern on the tie + big knot + velvet blazer = a whole lotta everything.
- The Size of the Watch: That appears to be a Cartier Santos XL. Which according to some sources, measures 55mm x 44.5mm. Or, somewhere between dining table and helicopter landing pad.
The Final Grades
From Dappered: 7.0 There’s a big “what might have been” factor here. Again, interesting as all hell and Shannon proves that you just never know what he’s going to wear from week to week. The blazer & slacks combo was refreshing. Everyone is almost always in a suit unless they’re in the booth calling the game, and then they have the network logo on their chest. Huge points for the velvet. But the paisley with the velvet is going to be too much for some eyes. Especially if the knot is huuuuge. If he would have gone with a more subtle tie with a smaller knot, a 10 wouldn’t have been out of the question, just for the velvet blazer. Again, a velvet blazer is playing with fire and it just won’t work on many of us. But it does on Shannon.
From the Dappered Readers: 6.9 Looks like we’re on the same page here.
The Final Grade: 7.0 Rounded up. Love the jacket, the tie split the vote, and the knot? Lil’ big.
Shannon Sharpe's Style - Week 13
- 10 (5%, 7 Votes)
- 9 (9%, 14 Votes)
- 8 (19%, 30 Votes)
- 7 (20%, 31 Votes)
- 6 (28%, 43 Votes)
- 5 (12%, 19 Votes)
- 4 (7%, 11 Votes)
- 3 (3%, 4 Votes)
- 2 (1%, 1 Votes)
- 1 (0%, 2 Votes)
Total Voters: 154
Click here for previous weeks of the Shannon Sharpe Styleometer.