Shannon Sharpe Style Analysis: Week 9 – Conservative. Except for the shirt.
Shannon Sharpe has quietly become one of the best dressed men on sports television. Sometimes. Unlike his competition (looking at you slim solid tie all the time Jesse Palmer) Sharpe takes risks. Sometimes the risks work and sometimes they don’t. The styleometer below is how we’ll track and analyze the CBS analyst’s look. Ten is a a big win, zero is awful, and five is a forgettable “mneh.” 50% of the final grade will be the average score of your votes.
- The Shirt: Points for working some white in along with a louder color on a smaller pattern. It’s an intense pattern, but it’s a football telecast, not a funeral. Shannon actually took to twitter and addressed the fact that he can’t wear a solid white shirt on TV due to lighting concerns. And he’s right. If you ever spent any time working in that industry, white shirts are a mess to deal with. Especially if the person wearing it has a dark complexion.
- The Solid Suit & Tie: It’s all about balance. Bold shirt under, solid tie with some texture and solid suit on top of that. Lets the shirt stand out without the whole thing getting out of control.
- The Conservative Colors: Except for the red & orange shirt of course. Keeping it dark and clean.
- The Tie Texture: Same as last week. Makes a nice bridge between the plain suit and the wild shirt.
- The Pocket Square: Also like last week. White and razor sharp.
- The Tie Knot: Are these things getting smaller? Still large, but trimming down
- The Soul Patch: AKA the mouche. AKA the mandible toothbrush. Not everyone can pull it off. Shannon can.
- The Lapels: Even though the tie seems to be the exact same tie as last week only in a different color, it appears slimmer this time. Maybe it’s the way he tied it? Regardless, it looks out of balance with the larger peak lapels. Would really have liked to have seen a notch here.
- The Amount of Cuff: What is that, four inches of cuff? But he’s sitting, and his freakish physique (gotta respect a former player staying in playing shape) might be messing with his sleeves.
- The Size of the collar: Time to bring this up. I’m a fan of larger collars myself, but sometimes Shannon’s shirts look like they’re about to swallow his head.
The Final Grades
From Dappered: 8.5 Real good. Way better than the 8.5 from week 5 (which by the way, if I could go back and lower that score, I would.) The orange-ish red check behind the black textured tie is awesome. It’s just the peak lapel solid suit on top doesn’t quite work, but that’s only after looking at a still of the outfit for a few minutes. Still by far the smoothest dresser on that set. If he would have went notch lapel with say, a tweed, it could have been something else.
From the Dappered Readers: 7.9 From the sounds of the comments, you thought this would have been lower. Looks like the silent majority liked the outfit.
The Final Grade: 8.2 One of Shannon’s stronger showings, but the suit just seemed a little off.
Shannon Sharpe's Style - Week 9
- 10 (9%, 16 Votes)
- 9 (31%, 59 Votes)
- 8 (26%, 49 Votes)
- 7 (24%, 45 Votes)
- 6 (4%, 7 Votes)
- 5 (3%, 6 Votes)
- 4 (3%, 5 Votes)
- 3 (1%, 1 Votes)
- 2 (0%, 0 Votes)
- 1 (1%, 1 Votes)
Total Voters: 188
Click here for previous weeks of the Shannon Sharpe Styleometer.